The post style calf suite is ideal for use in barns where group penning is desired. The posts from which the gates hang are lagged into a concrete base and remain in place all of the time. This allows you to pull out the odd panel to make larger pens and to group a few calves together after they are weaned but before they get moved to larger group pens. Studies have shown that this social integration on a small scale benefits the calves by facilitating the transition to an even larger group pen. Removing panels also gives you the ability to clean out an entire row of pens all at once with a skid loader while leaving the posts and front gates in place.
THE TRUSTED SOLUTION TO RAISING CALVES INDOORS
- No more feeding calves outside. Comfy Calf Suites makes feeding easier.
- Calves are easier to see in the Comfy Calf Suites compared to enclosed shelters.
- Better air quality improves the health of your calves.
- Plastic dividers isolate each calf, keeping your calves healthy.
- Dividers remove quickly and easily when required. Cleaning is simple and removal of dividers makes group penning an option as your calves mature.
- Various sizes and options available.
EACH COMFY CALF SUITES PACKAGE INCLUDES:
• Plastic planks that snap together with stainless steel end channels to create panels.
• Galvanized double posts or hoop style post to hold swinging front gate and keeps dividers in place.
• Galvanized dual pail holder.
• Pull out handles on panels.
• Identification card and clip for calf information included with double post.
• Two white pails for milk, water or grain.
• Stainless steel, quick-attach bracket to mount panel divider to back wall.
• Galvanized front spindle gate for suite front.
• Calf pail hold-down which prevents calves from dislocating pails.
• Calf bottle holder.
• Stainless steel pail divider.
• Manual lock and flipper to lock a calf’s head forward.
• Hay feeder.
Choose from standard sizes or customize to suit your needs.
• Center stall widths: 36” (91.4 cm), 42” (106.7 cm), 48” (121.9 cm).
• Pen lengths: 72” (182.9cm), 96” (243.8cm).
• Panel heights: 41” (104.1cm), 51” (129.5cm).
Samples of custom requests:
• Custom front widths
• Special divider lengths
• Freestanding suites
• Fronts with headlocks
• Custom wall attachments
• Custom gate sizes and styles
• Custom panel dividers
• Starter pen with raised flooring
** Easy order packages include double post, plank divider and hardware, calf front, latch, pails, pail holder, quick attach. Add a row end if required. **
Comfy Calf Suites as Parts.
- Order fronts.
- Specify length.
- One for each suite.
- Order double posts & wall hinges.
- One double post for each pen & end of row OR
- Order 1 wall hinge for end of row, instead of double post.
- Order side panels.
- One for each double post.
- 6’ & 8’ panels can be purchased as complete packages.
- Other sizes should be ordered as parts.
- Order latches.
- These are available individually.
- Order U-bolts separately.
- Order hardware packages.
- Specify post style or hoop style.
- Order accessories.
- Pail holders, pails, pail hold-downs, pail dividers, hay feeders, anchors.
- Order optional parts
- Galvanized Manual Lock & Flipper - turns the calf front into a locking front for calf management duties.
- Galvanized Bottle Holder - holds standard milk bottles (4” square).
When i was building my calf barn i was looking for a sturdy product that makes it easier to keep an eye on my calves body conditions. The Comfy Calf Suites weren’t flexible or flimsy like the other kinds and they make the calves more visible than hutches.
– Mike Buechel, 50 head calf barn, New Holstein Wisconsin
“The Comfy Calf Suites are light weight, easy to use and clean. Easy to change accessories around and change to group housing as they calves age. Our calf health has improved since installing the Canarm AgSystems pens.”
–Andrea Brossard, 62 head calf barn, Beaver Dam Wisconsin
“[We] Looked at several different options. Settled on the Canarm [Comfy Calf Suites] because they were very easy to assemble, easy to clean, very rugged, calf friendly, a lot of space...The original panels are still in excellent condition. if we clean them up, they look just like new, so we’ve been really happy with them. i really can’t fault them in any way. We’ve been super happy.”
-Greg Busch, Bumble B Dairy, Cuba City Wisconsin
University of Minnesota
After many years of housing calves in outdoor hutches, the University of Minnesota's calf and heifer experts decided to bring operations indoors.
Built in 2004, the site includes two single-trussed, naturally ventilated barns with curtain sides. Each barn has two rooms with space for 40 calves per room or a total of 160 individual indoor calf pens. About eight hundred calves (two to 200 days of age) flow through the facility each year. The calves are owned by commercial dairy operations and eventually join milking herds. About half the animals are subjects in nutrition, management and health studies. However, the university's emphasis is to manage the calves so all information is directly applicable to commercial farms.
Dr. Hugh Chester-Jones (shown in photo), a UM associate professor in animal science who oversees the facility, says his team's selection of Comfy Calf Suites was based on wanting the flexibility to efficiently tear down pens between calf groups and also durability. He says he liked Comfy Calf Suites' solid panel design, built to hold up under wear and tear from calves and every day management. Cleaning ease was also an important factor in choosing this pen design. "It power washes nicely, cleans up well and dries between calf groups," says Dr. Chester-Jones.
Observation is also efficient. "You can walk by very quickly and observe calves in the pens," Dr. Chester-Jones adds. "If there is a calf that is sick, you can easily open up the door and go inside, and look at the calf closely and take its temperature."
With two years of experience with Comfy Calf Suites, Dr. Chester- Jones reports, "It is a very easy pen to manage."